Wednesday, August 1, 2012

País Vasco, Euskal Herria, Pays basque

Day 2: Hondarribia – Seignosse
Time: 5:46:13
Distance: 93.7km
Average Speed 16.2 km/h


I was up at 7 for a quick dip in the sea followed by a coffee in Hondarribia. I cooked breakfast in the campsite common room and set off for France. I crossed the border a few kilometres up the road at Hendaye and stopped at the tourist office in Urrugne for a map.
Traffic on the narrow road up to Bayonne was very busy because of all the tourist towns and beaches along the route. I took another stop in the beautiful harbour town of St. Jean de Luz before heading to Bayonne.
I spent 2 hours in Bayonne cycling around the old cobbles streets but in truth I could have stayed a lot longer. I was advised by a bike shop and the tourist office that there was a bike route the whole way up the coast for around 100km. All I had to do was cross a bridge out of Bayonne and I was on it. Unfortunately it didn't work out so simple and I wasted a lot of time trying to find this magic bike route. Eventually after going down cul de sacs and crossing dirt roads, (some of which I had to walk the bike on since the quality of the surface was so bad) I found the bike route. However, the route didn't work as simple as I expected. Sections stop and start constantly and it's hard to find out where the entrances to the next sections are. Bike routes are a great idea for getting around in cities. I also think for the locals in this area of France the routes I was using were great for getting to the next town. But I've decided that for a bike tour where your aiming for 100km days bike routes are a waste of time and confusing. I'm sticking to the road tomorrow.
For camping I found a 4 star camp site. It had a bar and restaurant and the chalets looked nice which is probably why it gets 4 stars.







No comments:

Post a Comment